You really knuckle down and cook for your guys. The campfire is blazing, you forcefully stir in the Dutch Oven while the smoky aroma spreads around. You enjoy the fresh air, the time and the moment. Still, as you turn the sizzling meat on the Fire Bowl it happens: Grease sprays on your trusty Loden! And just as the stains sink deep so does the annoyance about them. What is to be done? Mud can be brushed out; smoke can be aired but grease stains or blood from opening game are true challenges. This is where the Bio Hand Wash Detergent sets in. It removes such stubborn residues as well as the relating odours.
So, if adventure truly strikes you, you need a wash and your Petromax Loden as well.
The basics of Loden care
Loden is a traditional and natural material. Elaborately manufactures from new sheep’s wool that is spun, woven and then milled, it is probably the most robust of all sustainable outdoor fabrics. Already known since the 12th century, Loden has long been used exclusively for traditional or hunting clothes. Especially during the past years, the material receives more and more attention. Quite understandable, as the properties of this sustainable wool fabric speak for themselves. However, the question often asked when wearing Loden jackets or trousers is: How do I care for my Loden clothing correctly?
Airing, brushing, or washing Loden? It depends on the degree of soiling
Loden is a material that is not easily comparable with other fabrics. While our everyday clothes need to already be washed after a short time, Loden clothing need largely less effort. The material hardly absorbs odours and proves to be resistant against stains and flying sparks. A simple airing outdoors often suffices to lose the campfire smell from the previous evening. Superficial staining such as mud or spilt drinks also do not necessarily require a wash. Accidentally spilt coffee can simply be absorbed completely by a damp, absorbing cloth. After having dried off coarse incrusted dirt can easily be removed with a soft brush (for instance one made of horsehair.) Usually, not much more is necessary to plunge once more into new adventures sporting a clean Loden jacket. However, what is to be done when the soiling is so strong that brushing does not suffice anymore – a tough job?
Washing Petromax Loden – The right detergent does it
Washing your dragon Loden equipment should always be an exception. As the traditional fabric is made of 100 % milled sheep’s wool your Loden clothing contains a major proportion of natural wool greases. These are very important as they ensure valuable thermal retention and make the material resistant against wind and water. For Deubelskerl, Waldmack and Bergmaid to permanently protect you the wool greases must not be washed from the Loden clothing due to unnecessary frequent laundering.
For this tough job the Bio Hand Wash Detergent has been developed. The natural concentrate helps you clean your Petromax outdoor clothing and is perfectly suitable for Loden and other wool textiles. Thanks to the special enzyme formula it is absorbed deeply into the clothing structure and effectively removes strong soiling and odours. Vegetable and animal fats and proteins are dissolved in a material-friendly manner and your traditional fabric remains enduringly resilient. You can simply drain the environmentally compatible detergent after use. What remains is a pine forest scent that already stets the mood for the next outing.
How do I wash and maintain my Loden clothing correctly? – “Step by step” guide for complete Loden care at home
- The Bio Hand Wash Detergent is a concentrate. Therefore, you have to dilute it with water in ratio 1:25. Please observe this instruction to receive the best possible cleaning result. For instance, add 400 mL hand wash detergent to 10 L water.
- Use a washing bucket, a tub or your bathtub to prepare an appropriate dipping bath with the diluted detergent. The water temperature should be lukewarm and may under no circumstances exceed 30 °C.
- Place your Loden garment in the dipping bath and press it down repeatedly. Make sure that it is completely absorbed with water. Now let soak for 2 hours.
- Drain the washing water and rinse your Loden generously and thoroughly with clear water. Here, againthe water temperature should not exceed 30 °C.
- After rinsing you can gently squeeze out your clothing. Please NEVER wring, as Deubelskerl and co. will otherwise loose its shape.
- Now you need a little patience, as the Loden has to dry gently. This is very important, because only that way it will keep its shape. Dry it flat for instance on a clothes drying rack and ensure for sufficient fresh air. Your keyword, because now you and your dragon equipment are ready to go once again.
Extra tip for quicker drying: Place your washed and rinsed Loden flat on a dry towel and roll in loosely. When you now squeeze several times ever so slightly, you already press out a large proportion of the water from the wool fibres and shorten the following drying period.
With only little effort and a short care routine you always keep your robust body equipment in good condition. Here come two more valuable tips to keep yourself and your Loden ready to go:
- Gently iron your Loden in regular intervals. That way you smoothen the erected wool fibres, compress the fabric surface again and fortify the natural resistance against water and wind. Adjust your iron to medium and apply moderate pressure. At places with dragon embroidery you should use ironing paper.
- In case you had to wash your Petromax outdoor clothing several times now, you have already lost valuable wool greases in the process. These protect you from the elements and provide thermal retention. Therefore, do something good for your Loden and ensure for the restoring of the grease. There are different versions of wool grease (lanolin) available and can be applied to the Loden surface. Make sure to choose a natural composition and read the label of the respective product.
- common washing agent
- hot washing or machine wash
- hang to dry
- drying at direct heat (dryer, heater, sun etc.)
- waterproofing spray